5 Things You Didn’t Know About Monsanto Hawaii

While there has been a lot of discussion about Monsanto, there seems to be little understanding about our operations and what we do. We want to change that and we hope that over time that we can develop a better understanding of what we do. To start, here are five things you may not have known about Monsanto Hawaii:

1) MONSANTO HAWAII CONSERVES OVER 11 MILLION GALLONS OF WATER IN HAWAII EACH YEAR BY USING  SUSTAINABLE FARMING PRACTICES: Monsanto Hawaii understands the importance of preserving and protecting our island home and we are dedicated to being a good steward of our land and natural resources. In addition to donating volunteer hours and grants to support various conservation programs in Hawaii, we are also committed to developing and utilizing the most sustainable farming practices available. For example, we use a drip irrigation method to produce crops, which saves more than eleven million gallons of water per year and uses 60 percent less nitrogen. To learn more about some of our conservation efforts, click here.

2) MONSANTO HAWAII HAS DONATED MORE THAN $300,000 TO HAWAII COMMUNITY ORGANIZATIONS: Over the past five years, Monsanto Hawaii has contributed more than $300,000 to various community organizations and non-profits throughout Hawaii. Additionally, since 2010, Monsanto Hawaii’s employees have logged more than 7,800 hours in volunteer time. Our employees have helped clear invasive species from fragile watershed areas, collected donations for local food banks, donated school supplies to students in need, raised funds for library books, helped build homes for Habitat for Humanity, bowled for Big Brothers Big Sisters, built school gardens and more. To learn more about our Community Giving, click here.

3) WE GROW BOTH CONVENTIONAL CROPS AND BIOENGINEERED CROPS: 70% of our nurseries in Hawaii contain biotech traits and the other 30% is conventional material (does not contain a biotech trait). Regardless of the nursery, we treat our crops the same, there are no increased inputs such as: pesticides, water, land and labor when growing biotech crops in our nurseries here in Hawaii.

4) MONSANTO HAWAII OFFERS SCHOLARSHIPS, GRANTS AND INTERNSHIPS FOR HAWAIIAN STUDENTS AND SCHOOLS: Monsanto Hawaii believes in the power of education for a brighter future. Over the years, we’re proud to have donated more than $1.2 million dollars and volunteered hundreds of hours to benefit students and schools throughout Hawaii. Our educational support includes:

  • Scholarships to Hawaii students pursuing college degrees in agriculture and the life sciences
  • Internships for young people seeking future careers in agriculture
  • Grants to help educators purchase equipment, tools and supplies for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education programs

5) YOU CAN TOUR MONSANTO HAWAII’S FARMS TO SEE WHAT WE DO FIRST HAND: Monsanto Hawaii is proud of the work we do in Hawaii and we are committed to dialogue and transparency. We strive to engage in a healthy, respectful conversation with interested members of our community. Some of the ways that we achieve this goal are through free farm tours that offer a first-hand look at our operations in Hawaii, Community Advisory Panels, which allow us to gain community feedback and input about our activities in Hawaii, and through community presentations. To learn more about our commitment to dialogue, please click here.